A Firefox bug, prevailing more than 2.5 years

Today I noticed something fishy in the Google Reader while reading the Chennai MetBlog Post of Iniya Pongal Nalvalthukkal. I was viewing the post through Google Reader using Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.11( Downloaded yesterday Jan-14-2008).

The fishy thing is Tamil Indic text rendered by Firefox was garbled. I checked quickly with other Indic language scripts( Hindi, Telugu, Kannada ). They seems to render properly.

The post which I was reading in Firefox , which renders Tamil Indic text.

image

Same through the Microsoft Internet Explorer. I could see correct text rendered.

image

I checked with one of the Wikipedia article which runs test for rendering the Unicode Indic scripts.

The 2nd Column shows the correct rendering, 3rd column displays the Wrong Indic rendering in the current browser ( Firefox )

image

The 2nd Column shows the correct rendering, 3rd column displays the Correct Indic rendering in the current browser ( Internet Explorer )

image

Then I verified the rendering of Tamil Wikipedia in both the Browsers.

image

Tamil Wikipedia rendered in Internet Explorer

image

IE rocks in rendering the Tamil Unicode pages properly.

I checked in the BlogoSphere to find any such blogs have already complained about this problem and found I found Vasanth Dharmaraj’s blog. Surprising things is, he complained the problem on Aug, 2005.

Also I checked with another site which has the details of the bug and the fix. The site says that the fix will be shipped in 2007. Also, it lists some trackbacks of the bug.

Immediately I did a search in Bugzilla. The bug has been reported more than twice to the developers.

  • Bug 292429 – Tamil Unicode is not displayed properly
  • Bug 391805 – Firefox 2.0.0.6 does not display proper Tamil,Telugu letters(Unicode)
  • Bug 333659 – Move nsTextFrame over to Thebes APIs

It’s about 2.5+ years and still the problem is in Firefox. I’m really surprised why Firefox developers hasn’t fixed it until.

5 thoughts on “A Firefox bug, prevailing more than 2.5 years

  1. To me (I only read the English alphabet) this looks simply like a letter spacing issue, not much more. I’m sure it’s fixable through a CSS tweak.
    But do make a point of complaining in Bugzilla, as they say: the squeaky wheel gets the oil.
    Have you looked at these pages in other browsers? Opera as an example?

  2. I guess, CSS tweek will not help with the Indic font. I haven’t checked with other browsers and IE rendered properly. Either the problem should be with the font available in my system / in the firefox.

    I’m planning to update the font in my system today!!

  3. control panel -> Regional and Language options -> languages. Check “Install files for complex…..”. It will ask for windows OS CD. Give and install.

    Now check the fonts in mozilla or any other browser.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s